Skip to main content

YOU GOTTA SERVE SOMEBODY BY DR. DENNIS INYANG

If you are a bit familiar with American pop culture of years gone by, you would remember Bob Dylan, real name Robert Allen Zimmerman, the singer and composer who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2016. I first heard his music as an undergraduate and was immediately captivated by his husky voice and folksy style. But it’s not his towering achievements or his unique music style that reminds me of him today. It’s the lyrics of his song, Gotta Serve Somebody, from his 1979 album, Slow Train Coming.

Hear Dylan: You may be an ambassador... You may be the heavyweight champion of the world ...You may be a business man or some high degree thief ...They may call you doctor or they may call you chief ... You may be rich or poor... But you’ve gonna have to serve somebody/Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord/But you’ve gonna have to serve somebody. 

It reminds me of Joshua who, in his valedictory speech at Shechem before his death, asked the children of Israel to choose whom they would serve. Would they serve the demon gods of the heathen nations or would they serve the Lord? “But as for me and my house”, he declared, “we will serve the Lord”. There is no neutral ground in this matter. You are either serving the Lord or serving the devil.

A CALL TO HONOR 
There is absolutely nothing better in this life than serving God. I completely agree with Charles Spurgeon, the renown fiery preacher of the 19th century, that “no life can surpass that of a man who quietly continues to serve God in the place where providence has placed him”. 

I have been teaching a series in our church entitled, A Call to Honor. It is based on what Jesus said to His disciples as He was preparing them for His imminent death: “If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor” (John 12:26). God is looking out for anyone who is serving His Son to bestow him honor. Amazing! So, serving God does not diminish you. Does that mean that you should now go in pursuit of honor? No, sir. Commit to service and God will honor you. Those who pursue honor will be unable to cope with the humble demands of service.

A woman whose two sons, James and John, were part of Jesus’ inner circle approached the Lord for a favor. Her request was that Jesus should have her two sons sit one on His right and one on His left in His kingdom. When the other disciples heard of this lobbying, they were enraged. But Jesus calmed them down and seized that golden opportunity to lay out clearly for them the pathway to greatness and honor. 

But Jesus called them to Himself and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them. Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant. And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave- Matthew 20:25-27 NKJV

A PARADIGM SHIFT
Jesus was saying that there are basically two paradigms: those who are rulers in the world lord it over others and exercise authority but  those who seek to be great and outstanding in the kingdom of God must serve. That’s what you call a paradigm shift. 

It seems that Simon Peter was slow to embrace this shift. So, when Jesus put away His garment, took a towel and proceeded to wash the feet of His disciples, he would have none of it. His protestation was because he saw such service as demeaning for the One he devoted his life to serve. But he learned that day that the Lord came to serve, not to be served, and to leave us an example that we should serve one another.

As I conclude, let me encourage you to serve the Lord. It’s a big privilege to do so. God will honor you as you serve Him. But you must realize that you cannot serve the Lord without serving people also. True greatness is serving others happily without feeling diminished. And, no matter who you are, you’re gonna have to serve somebody. 

The best decision I have made in my life is to serve the Lord. I encourage you to also decide to serve Him with all your heart from today.

Comments

  1. I haven't read this message until now. Iam so blessed and inspired by the contents. Thank GOD I have picked something home. But I have some questions pending...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed I'm blessed. I have encountered a lot of situation where people know they cannot stand up to the position they seek to occupy. Rather than stay humble to learn inorder to occupy their space with dexterity, they simply feel they cannot be under anyone's tutelage and serve. The result has never been palatable, as they become laughing stock, even to their subordinates no sooner than they are ushered into such offices. Indeed, one must surely serve somebody to become great. With Christ, humility is accomplished for perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MAKE 2020 THE BEST YEAR OF YOUR LIFE

Let me welcome you very warmly to the year 2020. Please repeat after me: “2020 is a good year for me. I will walk in the will of God and fulfill His purpose for my life this year. I will walk in the blessing of the covenant and enjoy the abundance of the earth. The work of my hand is blessed. In all things, I will excel supernaturally. Wherever I go, I will be surrounded with favour. Because God is for me, nothing shall effectively be against me this year. I walk in dominion with Satan under my feet. I am unstoppable. Nothing is impossible for me. And all things shall work together for my good. In Jesus Mighty Name. Amen!” For well over ten years, I had a monthly offline publication called A Word in Season which I rested few years ago. Most of the articles published over the years were compiled into my inspirational book, Morning Does Not Tell the Day. But from this month, I yield to the request of many readers who were blessed by A Word in Season to revive the publication in an online

TURNING THE TIDE BY DENNIS INYANG

It is an open secret that David, not the sovereign monarch of Israel but the little shepherd boy who stole the show in the valley of Elah, is my favorite example when it gets to shaming the pundits. He is the quintessential underdog who flips the game against all expectations and sends the celebrated and probably over-rated giant to the dust. Well, Goliath was not so fortunate to merely kiss the dust. He had his head cut off and his trunk served to the birds. And all these were done by an unknown teenager whose only skill was to throw a stone with a sling. But that was all David needed to silence the raucous boast of Goliath, champion of the Philistines, and save Israel from reproach and servitude. This famous David versus Goliath encounter is what fills my mind today as I consider what to write for the May edition of your favorite blog, A Word in Season. For over three months, the world has been terrorized by a certain coronavirus whose origin has become a source of attrition bet

#CORONAVIRUS: FEAR NOT! BY DENNIS INYANG

Some days ago, my eight-year old daughter asked her mom, “what is coronavirus?” That was what everyone was talking about and she wanted to be part of the conversation. Indeed, nothing has enjoyed the attention of the media in the last few weeks and paralyzed the world with fear like coronavirus, an infection that started in Wuhan, China at the end of 2019. So far, it has infected over 1000,000 people in 99 nations with over 3000 recorded deaths. The global economy has taken a hit and there are fears that it might plunge the world into another recession. Unfortunately, medical science is yet to discover any vaccine to combat the infection. But we have been told by medical experts to wash our hands with soap many times a day, use hand sanitizers, avoid people with flu-like symptoms of coughing and sneezing, and maintain social distancing. Since coronavirus is transmitted from human to human, these are all good measures for our safety. The flip side of it, however, is that these experts